Please join me in welcoming Cate Holahan, author of Lies She Told, to the Readsalot blog today. She’s prepared a fun guest post for us.
~ Guest Post ~
My upcoming psychological thriller is titled “LIES SHE TOLD.” So, instead of the traditional guest post, five facts about me, I’m providing four facts and a lie. See if you can guess right. Answers below.
- I’m an ex-rock singer
- I’m a cartoon addict
- I died in my house.
- I starred in a vacuum commercial
- I ate dinner with a multi-billionaire
1. TRUE. I sang in a rock band called Leaving Kinzley. Everyone thought Kinzley was an ex-boyfriend’s nickname or surname. Really, it was the street that the band practiced on. We left it to perform. See the blurry pic below to prove it.
2. TRUE. My guilty pleasure is watching cartoons with my daughters, ages 5 and 7, on weekend mornings. Our favorite is Star vs. The Powers of Evil is about a butt-kicking inter-dimensional, magical princess who befriends a nerdy earth boy and defeats bad guys. What’s not to like?
3. TRUE. For my second book launch, I threw a murder mystery party about a showgirl’s death on a cruise ship for which everyone had to come in character. I was the showgirl and “died”—during a performance of Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive—in my basement.
4. FALSE. I haven’t acted since junior high musical theater. But I’d love to take classes again.
5. When I was a tech journalist at BusinessWeek, I went to a launch party for a private jet service backed by Richard Branson. The journalists all ate dinner with the multi-billionaire while he discussed “budget” private jet travel.
~ About the book ~
TITLE: Lies She Told
AUTHOR: Cate Holahan
PUBLISHER: Crooked Lane Books
Protagonist, Liza Cole, is a romantic thriller writer who has thirty days to pen the novel capable of catapulting her back onto the best seller lists. The tight deadline is complicated by her experimental fertility treatments and a husband who is busy keeping his firm afloat after the unexplained disappearance of his law partner and close friend, Nick. As Liza writes the tale of Beth, a new mom who discovers her husband cheating and becomes embroiled in his paramour’s murder, she begins to see parallels between her story and Nick’s real life disappearance. Is Liza subconsciously picking up on clues from the behaviors of those closest to her, or are the similarities all coincidence? Before finishing Beth’s story, Liza must figure out what she might unconsciously realize about those closest to her–or Beth’s last chapter could be the end of Liza’s own life.
~ PRAISE FOR LIES SHE TOLD ~
In a STARRED review for the book, Kirkus said that “Holahan (The Widower’s Wife, 2016, etc.) spins a suffocating double nightmare that provides compelling support for her heroine’s rueful article of faith: “To be a writer is to be a life thief.”
“Lies She Told had me questioning my own sanity…The best kind of suspense…An excellent and compelling psychological read!” ―Susan Crawford, bestselling author of The Pocket Wife and The Other Widow
“Intricate, intense, and completely sinister―the talented Cate Holahan keeps you guessing until the final disturbing page.” ―Hank Phillippi Ryan, Agatha, Anthony and Mary Higgins Clark Award-winning author of Say No More
“Brilliantly conceived, chillingly conveyed, Lies She Told is a mind-bender of a novel within a novel, with a story that is both gut-wrenching and compulsively readable. Cate Holahan is one of the best psychological suspense writers out there, and she’s only getting better. Read her.” ―Brad Parks, Shamus, Nero, and Lefty Award-winning author of Say Nothing
~ About The Author ~
Cate Holahan, author of the acclaimed psychological suspense novel The Widower’s Wife, is an award-winning journalist and a former television producer. She currently lives in New Jersey with her husband and two children.
Stalk the author!
~ Giveaway ~