Anna, from the Death by Cupcake series, thinks she can solve crimes with cupcakes. Well, I don’t know about that. What I do know is eating her candy cane Oreo cupcakes makes me forget about my problems. If you’re looking for a fun but not too time-intensive cupcake recipe for the holidays (I cheat with this one and use a cake mix), I recommend this recipe from Christmas Cupcakes & A Caper.
Ingredients (for 20 cupcakes)
- 20 Oreos
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 candy canes
- Oreos (leftover from above)
- ¾ cup (170 grams) butter softened
- 8 ounces (226 grams) cream cheese
- 3 – 4 Cups of powdered sugar
- Milk, if needed
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 Celsius) and line 2 cupcake trays with cupcake liners.
- Twist Oreos to break apart and put the side with the most cream, cream-side up into each cupcake liner.
- Add eggs, oil, milk, and sour cream to cake mix. Stir until smooth. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Finely crush candy canes (I used a mortar and pestle) and finely crush the other half of the Oreos.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until you get the desired consistency. If it gets too thick, add a bit of milk. Fold in the finely crushed candy canes and Oreos.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and top with extra Oreos.
These were a big hit with our dinner guests and my in-laws, although my husband said there was too much frosting. As if. There can never be too much frosting!